Old 21-04-2006, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
LesaSt

Default root bound liriope and stella plugs

Yesterday I rec'd 24 potted Liriope from a "reputable" internet company
specializing in groundcovers (not any of the big guys). All of them
were rootbound with roots coming from the bottom holes as well as from
the tops of the pot. These are 3-1/4" pots and I struggled with them
to get them from the pots. At first glance I thought they were packed
in some sort of hay (duh). Before contacting the company I wanted to
do a little research. There are sites that say liriope is OK if it is
a little rootbound. Is this true? To me they look like last years
nursery trash.

Also, I ordered bareroot stella d oro. These came looking like bad
green onions. Very small. My understanding was that "bareroot" is a
plant with the dirt removed --*not* a plug. Is this correct?

This company advertises as "high quality" and this is what they base
their reputation on. I'm so disappointed, but grateful I didn't order
the larger order I had in mind.

Am I a misinformed somewhat-newbie gardener or do I have reason for
disappointment?

Lesa