Old 21-04-2006, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jenny

Default What to plant on a de-mulched bank side?

Travis M. wrote:
"Jenny" wrote in message

When we moved into our home the seller had covered the big rock
outcropping behind us with truckloads of wood chips, much of it
piles of sticks. Over time they'd become infected with artillery
fungus and stinkhorns, so we just had a landscaper come in and
remove it all.

Too bad. They are both harmless and eventually you would have had a
better soil there.

Artillery fungus isn't "harmless". It was spattering our home which is a
light color as far as the second story and it got so we couldn't park on
the driveway because our cars were getting spattered. Once the fungus
sets (two or three days) nothing, and I mean NOTHING will remove it. I
tried just about everything you can think of and ended up having to go
out every other day to scrape it off the siding. I couldn't use any cut
flowers from my garden either as they were covered with spores.

It can take as long as a decade for the artillery fungus to go away. As
the mulch was more than a foot deep in some areas and after three years
was still full of large sticks, this wasn't going to be breaking down
into nice soil anytime soon.

We don't plan to live in this house more than another couple years and
foresaw serious problems selling it if we didn't get the mulch removed.

--Jenny

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes Diabetes Info

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/newlydiagnosed.htm Get Your Blood
Sugar Under Control