Old 21-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Mr Whippy Mr Whippy is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanJHawkins
That does appear to be flowering... But the purple tint doesn't look
like either of my Ph. Nigra. Is the color off a little in the photo?
Also, all of the Phyllostachys genus have only two prominent branches
at each node. It is hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like I
see one with three or more. Phyllostachys sometimes develop branches
that appear to be a third branch coming from a node, but are actually
branches that are shooting off of one of the two main branches very
close to the main culm... Could this be what I am seeing?

Are any of the culms (even perhaps very thin or short original ones
from when you bought it) ebony black?

From the photo, it actually looks more like a Fargesia nitida, which is

known to be flowering around the world now. But this is a clumper with
a purple / blue tint... Very different from a Ph. nigra all around.

Confirmation would be nice, as if your bamboo really is Ph. Nigra it's
going to be bad (but useful) information for a lot of people!
Hi -

Thanks very much for the reply.

When I bought it, it was just labelled "Black Bamboo" - I just assumed it was P. Nigra at the time but having never seen one in the flesh I have nothing to compare it to. (I'm pretty new to Bamboo). Only now that it is flowering have I started looking on the 'net in more detail.

None of the culms are "ebony" black, I would describe them as very dark brown with maybe a hint of purple (esp when viewed in direct sunlight.) I have counted some nodes with 3 (and maybe more) branches, the ridges at the nodes are much paler than the culms. (as you can see - almost white)

When it put new culms up last year, they were almost imediatley black / dark brown, I remember thinking at the time that they should be coming up green for the first season, then turning black later and I thought it was odd.

Culms are fairly thin and whip like, and bend over quite considerably at the top. The wind blows it all over the place. When I bought it it was in a 8 inch pot with about 3 canes 4 ft tall, and several smaler ones. It now has about 10 canes at 5 - 6 ft tall and has hardly expanded at all from it's base - where it's pot would have been.

The colour on the photo is pretty close - I took it in full sunlight and there's definetly purple in there.

(some more photos - )
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...oo/bamboo6.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...oo/bamboo5.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...oo/bamboo4.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...oo/bamboo2.jpg

So I can safely assume it's not P. Nigra then........
That would explain a few things. Thanks again for the reply.

I'll have a read up on Fargesia nitida then and see if that looks like the culprit.

Any more opinions welcome .....

Cheers - Dave.