Old 21-04-2006, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
newsb

Default Incinerator?

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

Either, they don't burn the rubbish completely, or, they do it so
well eventually the metal burns out.

IMHO incinerators are another of those utterly pointless gadgets
designed to make you spend money for no good reason. Along with plastic
covers for weatherproof garden furniture.

We don't have anywhere convenient for open fires at the moment - I find
the dustbin incinerator pretty good for what it does - certainly, if
filled and fired properly, it always burns everything I put in it.

The only problem is the size. It involves work cutting stuff down to a
suitable size and a fair bit of time managing it - ie, adding more stuff
when there's room.

But it does do a good job of leaving pretty fine ash and allows you to
have an almost completely controlled fire in a comparatively restricted
area.

It also does a reasonable job of drying out and burning damp stuff - but
as Chris said, you end up with an awful lot of dense smoke (as you would
with an open fire).

One other warning - if yusing one, don't use petrol or similar to light
it. (There's no need to use such accelerants anyway). A little bit of
paper and thin twigs/dried grasses underneath biggr stuff will get it
burning quickly). Petrol in a confined space - particularly with the
gases allowed to fill it - makes a big bang and isn't good for the
person doing the lighting

Eventually, the metal does go - but they aren't particularly expensive
and do a good job in certain situations where other options are limited.

--
regards andyw