Old 21-04-2006, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mel

Default Honey Fungus

"Nick Maclaren"

| I have several stumps in the ground left from chopped-down leylandii.

The
| stumps have been there for about 5 years. Under the soil, I think one

of
| the stumps has honey fungus (it's white and smells like mushrooms).

1) Why do you think that it is honey fungus? There are a zillion fungi
that grow on dead stumps. Actually, assuming that you mean its mycelium
is white, it isn't honey fungus :-)

Thanks, Nick. I won't panic! I haven't bothered with it for 5 years, but I
saw something on Gardner's World yesterday about honey fungus and it got me
to wondering. The stuff under the stump's bark is white and smells like
mushrooms, which is what Pippa Greenwood described and what I've read on
various websites. Anyway, I'll leave it to do its natural work.

Regards.