Old 21-04-2006, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Barrett

Default Brussels sprouts by fence

david taylor wrote:
Low pH is a potential problem on land that has not been used for growing
vegetables. For sprouts ensure the soil pH is 6.

Thanks for the tip, David. I got a pH kit and found my soil to vary
between 7.0 and 7.5, depending on location. So I guess I'm ok for the
sprouts. It's fairly heavy clay. Anything else I should be aware of
vegetable-wise with this soil? I'm in Durham, in case location matters.

This is my second season -- I did a few things last year with a late
start (thus my overly-early start this year). The maincrop carrots were
big winners; spring onions were big losers. Lettuce, spinach, radishes,
courgettes were fair-to-middlin'.

best,
Rob