Old 22-04-2006, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

Default Ants in the Compost

"Bill R" wrote in message
Lar wrote:

It doesn't take a lot of borates in the soil to make it where plants
won't grow.

Lar is correct. You have to be careful about what you put in your
compost pile. I avoid any kind of material that has had any chemicals
applied to it. Some stuff can take years to become inert.

that would however depend on how much borax you used eh. I you threw masses
in to the compost expect it to be poisioned. If the borax was mixed with
sugar and placed in a bait station it should be fine. Borax is poison, hence
we should not eat it, but is also a common cleaning product. I use it in the
washing machine. My pick, and feel free to prove me wrong, is that a
reasonably small amount of borax (in a bait station) will not harm the
compost too much. If some finds its way in it will be diluted with rain and
be mixed into negligable amounts when the compost is turned and eventually
dug out. It is also a fairly simple chemical as far as I know that does not
reside for long periods after become wet.

rob