Old 22-04-2006, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

Default Ants in the Compost

"George.com" wrote in message

"Bill R" wrote in message
Lar wrote:

It doesn't take a lot of borates in the soil to make it where plants
won't grow.

Lar is correct. You have to be careful about what you put in your
compost pile. I avoid any kind of material that has had any chemicals
applied to it. Some stuff can take years to become inert.

that would however depend on how much borax you used eh. I you threw

masses
in to the compost expect it to be poisioned. If the borax was mixed with
sugar and placed in a bait station it should be fine. Borax is poison,

hence
we should not eat it, but is also a common cleaning product. I use it in

the
washing machine. My pick, and feel free to prove me wrong, is that a
reasonably small amount of borax (in a bait station) will not harm the
compost too much.

by that I mean not throwing borax all over the compost like you would lime.
Mixing it with sugar and placing it in a container ants can reach is the way
to go. You would not pour litres of commercial ant bait on the compost don't
do the same with borax.

rob