Old 14-03-2003, 09:15 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

Default Patio construction (one for Cormaic ?)

In message , Jim
writes
Hi

My house is on a hill and the garden slopes from left to right and
from front to back. The back right hand corner is currently a kids
play area with bark laid over a weed control fabric. The area gets
quite soggy/muddy though so I thought I might turn it into a patio
which hopefuly should make better use of the space.

I've looked at Cormaic's excellent site but jsut want to confirm that
I won't need a sub-base. Do I just lay a 40-50mm bed and place the
slabs directly onto this ?

As I understand it yes, it's in general fine for a patio to be laid onto
the sand bed (I assume that the ground here is level enough - if it
slopes much you would need to use some sub-base material to bring it up.

I like to use a weak sharp sand/cement dry mix to lay them onto.

Don't forget to allow for drainage from the patio.

Also should I remove all the bark and
fabric first ?

Certainly the bark, you could leave the membrane down if you want, but
it would serve no purpose I'd take it up and use it elsewhere.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ: