Old 22-04-2006, 03:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

Default Lawn tractor will not turn off

"Cam" wrote in message
. ..
Artemis wrote:
Cam wrote:

Artemis wrote:

Cam wrote:

your lawnmower is not supposed to start with the switch in the on
position. It should start with the switch in the 'start' position. So
your test was not valid. Translation: could be switch. Test the
switch.

If he jumped to the starter side of the solenoid then it would start
with the switch in the on position.

He is not giving enough info (likely because he doesn't know) to really
diagnose the problem. He needs to get someone more knowledgeable to
work on it.

yea but thats not testing the switch then

I didn't say it was. I'd guess he doesn't know how to test the switch or
the solenoid. He is just replacing parts that he thinks might be bad.

frustrating way to work on one unless you get lucky

Not really - both parts are cheap, readily available and easy to change. If
there is any doubt - change them. I've been using that approach for years -
often picking up replacement parts on spec just because they were discounted
and I knew that I would eventually use them. Fuel filters, line &
shut-offs, spark plugs, switches, solenoids, battery terminals & cables.