Old 22-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Mr Whippy Mr Whippy is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanJHawkins
Hmmm... F. nitida doesn't get black like that. But Ph. nigra doesn't
either. It is clearly a bamboo that I have no experience with. There
are some tropical bamboos that get black. Perhaps it is one of them.

Do you have cold winters? If so, how does it handle them?
Winter temps here in the UK may go as low as -10 celcius but rarely and only for short spells. The temp in Jan is probably between - 3 and +4 deg C most of the time.

Because I assumed it was P. Nigra when I bought it I did a litle reading up and it said - does best in full sun, so I planted it in one of the sunniest parts of my garden. In the middle of summer it will probably get 9 hours of direct sun per day.

It seems from what I have read that the nitidia normally prefers some shade and I found this page - http://www.bamboogarden.com/Fargesia%20nitida.htm
that shows the nitida flower (very similar to mine, maybe more open but very similar colouring) It also says "When grown where the sun can reach the culms, they turn an attractive purplish color."

Some of the photos on that site show dark coloured culms - especially the photos of the new seedlings.

Maybe that is it then ....... ? What do you think ?

Another question - It has just started to show it's flowers in the last 2 weeks, there are obviously more still to emerge, but roughly how long will it be before I can start to consider collecting some seeds ? Weeks ? Months ?

Do you have any idea of the chances of survival of the parent (assuming it is F. nitidia that is ?)

I appreciate the help & advice - I'm building my bamboo brain !
If you want some seeds leave me your address and I'll mail them to you.

Cheers - Dave.
- loose the bamboo.