Old 22-04-2006, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

Default What to plant on a de-mulched bank side?

"Jenny" wrote in message

Travis M. wrote:
"Jenny" wrote in message

When we moved into our home the seller had covered the big
rock
outcropping behind us with truckloads of wood chips, much
of it
piles of sticks. Over time they'd become infected with
artillery
fungus and stinkhorns, so we just had a landscaper come in
and
remove it all.

Too bad. They are both harmless and eventually you would
have
had a better soil there.

Artillery fungus isn't "harmless". It was spattering our home
which
is a light color as far as the second story and it got so we
couldn't park on the driveway because our cars were getting
spattered. Once the fungus sets (two or three days) nothing,
and I
mean NOTHING will remove it. I tried just about everything you
can
think of and ended up having to go out every other day to
scrape it
off the siding. I couldn't use any cut flowers from my garden
either as they were covered with spores.

It can take as long as a decade for the artillery fungus to go
away. As the mulch was more than a foot deep in some areas and
after three years was still full of large sticks, this wasn't
going
to be breaking down into nice soil anytime soon.

We don't plan to live in this house more than another couple
years
and foresaw serious problems selling it if we didn't get the
mulch
removed.

--Jenny

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes Diabetes Info

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/newlydiagnosed.htm Get Your
Blood Sugar Under Control

When you said the big rock out cropping behind you I assumed (my
bad) it was some distance from your house.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington