Old 22-04-2006, 08:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lar

Default Ants in Japanese maple

In article ,
says...
I have a Japanese maple that I have shaped as an outdoor bonsai that has
lots of ants in it. They are clustered at the extremities in the new growth,
much like aphids on new rose buds. Are they harmful to the plant? I can
detect no damage, but then I just noticed them yesterday.

HH

They might be hiding aphid activity with their numbers...not harmful,
just an indication something is going on to attact them such as honey
dew from other insects to "sap" from the tree itself (can't recall if J
maples have sap issues)