Old 14-03-2003, 09:33 PM
Dave Millman

Default Anyone like to help?

Dustin wrote:

Hi All,

Ive been following this newgroup, reading, learning and sometimes throwing
my 2 cents in since december.

I have a 125 gal - flourite - co2 pressurized, 4 X 96w cf's, 2 X Magnum 350
Filters.

I went through the normal brown algae the first week, hair algae a few weeks
later and now the algae is gone but I have green water.

I have PMDD somewhere in the mail, and bought some Tropical Master Grow.

Ive read the Kribs sections on PMDD and TMG - However I guess I still dont
get it.

Dustin,

Plants need CO2, three macro nutrients (Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Potassium),
and trace elements. The most often lacking trace elements seem to be Iron,
Magnesium and Calcium.

You are injecting CO2.

PMDD has up to five main ingredients:

* Trace element fertilizer. This is often a brand called Plantex CSM, but
other brands can be used.
* Potassium, in the form of K2SO4
* Nitrogen, in the form of KNO3 (plus more Potassium in there too)
* Magnesium, in the form of Epsom Salts (not used by everyone)
* Phosphorous, in the form KH2PO4 (not used by everyone)

Used together in the dosages described on TheKrib, these form a very complete
fertilizer regimen for planted tanks. The tricks a

* Overdosing Nitrate is bad (kills fish), so you have to start slow.
* Overdosing Phosphate can promote algae, and many people
have enough without adding any.
* Many people have nice hard water, and do not add Epsom Salts.

The TMG you ordered is a proprietary combination of Trace plus Potassium and
Magnesium. Many people use it alone. Few people use it in conjunction with PMDD,
since they overlap so much. TMG contains no phosphate or nitrate.

Reread the sections on the Krib, compare to what's above, and see if it doesn't
start to make sense. Then ask more questions!