Old 22-04-2006, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Ants in Compost Bin

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"George.com" writes:

[...]
You are saying that borax (sodium borate) remains in environment in
that form?

No. I have no idea what happens to it but, as the active ingredient
is an element (boron), it isn't going to break down quickly (or at
all) in any environment that plants or animals will survive in.

The point is that high levels in the diet of insects causes sterility
or death (whichever it is) and that very low levels in the soil are
essential to plant life. Very like copper and iron in that respect.

In any case, commercial ant-killers such as Nippon are just borax in a
sugar syrup, as far as I know. So one might as well just buy Nippon
unless one needs borax for other purposes.

--
Mike.