Old 23-04-2006, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default GW - In remembrance of Geoff Hamilton ?- cheap cold frames

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 10:14:21 +0200, "JennyC"
wrote:

Old washing machine fire - cheapo garden lights ............

Nice :~))
Jenny

And ways of making cheap cold frames......

Is it just me, or do these 'cheap' methods not always seem cheap?

For instance, the cold frame from a box - that box with the handles looked
expensive (£20 someone told me).

I would also like to have seen someone actually take pallets apart before
making the cold frame.

I have never found that dismantling pallets is worthwhile in terms of time
and effort expended - I have some now (which had block paviours on) and

they
are held together with blunt ended nails with ridged shafts.

Ther are almost impossible to get apart without damaging the wood (for

some
reason they seem to have made them robust - possibly so they don't fall
apart when shunted around on fork lift trucks).

It's possible to remove the blocks by simply pulling the nail heads
through, by use of a crowbar. With maybe a sharpened cold chisel and
a lump hammer to get things started. All you're left with, is a ragged nail
hole.

All I saw was a shot of a pallet and a spade (tried that, didn't work)

then
some nice bits of board and timber which showed no sign of being

brutalised.

Do they have researchers to do this for them?

AFAII all the things Geoff Hamilton demonstrated on TV and wrote
about previously in his articles were his own ideas and adaptations.
Either that or things viewers and readers had suggested of their own.
Which he then did to his own satisfaction, to make sure they worked.

GH was probably the first presenter to actively champion the use of
cheap materials in the garden on TV since the wartime "dig-for-victory,*
and make do and mend" philosphy became unfashionable in the 50's and
thereafter.

GH had hired help on the horticutural side I believe, as all the work
involved would have been a full time occupation in itself.

michael adams

Presumably they all grew up watching Blue Peter (and here's one I prepared
earlier).

The only proper cheap method I saw was using loose old bricks to build a
frame.

Granted that there are some ridiculous prices for wooden cold frames

(£200+)
you can still find polycarbonate ones via Google for around £40 and I'm

sure
I've seen them cheaper in the sheds.

Or this one

http://www.gonegardening.com/xq/ASP/...op/product.htm
for £29.99.

You can save money by building one yourself; I question the value of
breaking up pallets against just buying the wood.

Grumble.

Still breaking up the pallets for firewood.
Not enjoying it.
Hmph.

Dave R