Old 23-04-2006, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MikeCT

Default Overwintering Fuchsias

Hi,

Last year I planted fuchsias in three hanging baskets. Instead of throwing
the plants on my compost heap at the end of the year, I re-planted them in
an out of the way part of the garden without any hope that they would
survive the winter. Today whilst weeding, I was very surprised to see that
they have survived and have all started healthy new growth from the ground.
I know that this is the case with everlasting fuchsias, but surely not the
more tender varieties. The ground has been frost hard for quite a time
during the winter. Perhaps I should have retained all the other fuchsias I
threw away in autumns passed.

MCT