Old 23-04-2006, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Joshua Peri

Default Can I replant roses when not dormant?

I tend to think that it is best to be patient and wait for the proper season
to do things. One month in the ground is long enough for the plant to have
established enough roots to make the replanting traumatic. I once did this
to some roses one week after they were planted.
How much of a perfectionist are you, or how badly were they planted? Unless
the graft is well under ground level, I would advise that replanting is not
important. I know of poorly planted roses that grow well.
Joshua Peri
"colleen" ???
groups.com...
Hello all,
I am a new to roses and coule really use some help. I have had one
rose bush for a year, and this year planted 20 more. Some of the new
rose bushes that I planted roughly a month ago (were bare root roses)
are lower in the ground than I would like them to be.

From what I have found, it sounds like the best time to dig up and

replant roses is when they are dormant. However, since these roses
have been in the ground for only a month, would it be better to move
them now (before the roots are well established), or to wait until they
are dormant? They currently have leaves, but no buds just yet. The
temp where I am (TN) is about 70's for the high right now.

I would really appreciate any advice please.

Thank you