Old 23-04-2006, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Corfield

Default GW - In remembrance of Geoff Hamilton ?

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:22:20 +0200, "JennyC"
wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 10:14:21 +0200, "JennyC"
wrote:

Old washing machine fire - cheapo garden lights ............

Nice :~))

Well lots of the old Geoff Hamilton episodes are being repeated on
uktvstylegardens (satellite channel) and his style is somewhat different
to the current presenters.

OH - wish I could recieve that!

You need someone to set up a rogue Sky account and fix up a satellite
dish for you.

It is interesting to note the change in
style and emphasis in GW over the years - particularly as separate
years' programmes are running side by side.

What do you find the biggest difference?
It seems to me that fashion comes into it much more than in the 'old days'

I'm only looking at it through inexperienced eyes but the contrast for
me is that the older programmes have more emphasis on gardens, plants
and a minimal amount of "get this at the garden centre" rather than
today where it is less about plants and horticultural technique and more
about projects for the weekend. As I lack inspiration of my own I am
always keen to see what other people do in their gardens

Sarah Raven strikes me as someone who is genuinely keen on plants and is
happy to delve around in the soil. Although even with her there is a
marked contrast from what looks like her very first appearance on GW and
how she is now. Even she is much more "commercial" with canny
references to "her Perch Hill garden".

While the "all for free" garden being developed in GW by Carol Klein is
a great idea it's a waste of time for someone like me as I don't have
access to the bountiful resources of Berryfields and previous season's
cast offs ;-) The annual border idea from the RHS chap at Harlow Carr
was very good though. I might try that in the part of my shared garden
that isn't mine!
--
Paul C