Old 23-04-2006, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Corfield

Default GW - In remembrance of Geoff Hamilton ?

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 18:33:53 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Paul Corfield contains these words:

While the "all for free" garden being developed in GW by Carol Klein is
a great idea it's a waste of time for someone like me as I don't have
access to the bountiful resources of Berryfields and previous season's
cast offs ;-)

She's only using that as material to demonstrate with. Home gardeners
have a huge resource of free plant material , from the gardens of
neighbours family and friends and plant swaps at their local garden
club. Or, dirt cheap from the plant table at local jumble sales and
"open gardens". Get one new plant and divide it; use some of your home-
propagated plants to swap with other gardeners etc.

Yes I know what it is illustrating. *At the moment* it is not of great
use to me as I am slowly building up the garden and haven't had a year's
growth of anything yet. I also don't really have space for seed / plant
propagation etc at the moment. That will have to be a later development
when I've got myself organised with seed trays etc.

While we're talking about practical matters it seems to me that
gardening seems to require the use of a car these days. Things like
compost, manure etc are not really for lugging along on the local bus or
tube train (yes I'm in London) and many places don't seem to have
delivery services. Is there anyone else on the group who is car less
but can manage to lug plants, pots and compost around with ease?
--
Paul C