Old 23-04-2006, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

Default tomatoes die early

Jim Carlock wrote:

"cloud dreamer" wrote:

...and the soil solarized in between (as some wilts can remain in
the soil up to 8 years).

Thanks for replying. I bet the climate plays a role in things as well.

It's summer already here in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. Temps
are in the 90s already. Felt like 100ºF yesterday (90ºF, last high
record set was 90ºF in 1968 on April 22).

The bags of dirt I've bought, are bags that sit out in the sun on the
parking lot at Home Depot. So they're probably solarized some
extent, right? Best to buy those than the ones that sit on a shelf
inside in the shade?

The solarization is important for the soil that is already in the
ground. I've never had problems with the stuff I buy at the store (and
you don't know if the stuff inside sat outside on a loading dock
somewhere for six months). The point is to kill the disease left behind
by the previous plant, such as tomatoes and potatoes (though it's not
necessary for all plants - I find carrots rarely leave anything behind
and can tolerate a lot - except rocks). Rotating the crop will usually
take care of the problem, so if you put tomatoes there every 4th season
(with some solarization in between) then chances are the soil is good.

I avoid the hassle altogether by using the containers and potting soil.
The soil is never reused.

Maybe that's something worth investigating for the OP.

I've not run into the blight thing myself, so perhaps that a northern
state/country thing?

Probably so. It's what caused the Irish Potato famine - moist cool
summers. Just like we get. An application of fungicide usually helps.

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.