Old 24-04-2006, 01:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

Default What to do with hydrangeas?

said:

Last year a landscaper put in several different plants, including a
row of hydrangeas (they bloomed blue and purple).

The growth from last year is brittle and seems dead to me. I noticed
some new growth coming out of the ground.

Am I supposed to prune last year's "dead" wood? Do I chop it all off?

Different varieties have different pruning requirements. As all of the new
growth is from the bottom of the plant, it's probably safe to cut back the
old branches to the ground. Cut one, and if it's dry all the way through,
then you're good to go. If it's green in the center, then give it another
week or so to see if any new growth sprouts from the old (I doubt you will
find this to be the case).

HTH
--
Eggs

-Buy one for the price of two and get the second one free!