Old 24-04-2006, 09:02 AM posted to aus.gardens
David Hare-Scott

Default White fungus in soil?

"Cynthia" wrote in message
When transplanting some pot plants I've noticed that there is a fluffy

white
fungus type of material on the decomposing matter in the soil. The plants
themselves haven't been very healthy and I wondered if the white stuff was
in some way responsible for the poor health and very limited growth of the
plant?

I've put the old soil to one side in the hope that I will be able to reuse
it come next spring. I guess I am hoping that the fungus will die off as

it
has no moisture now.

Does anyone know what this might be and if it's a problem, how to remedy

it?

There are many fungi in the normal microbes in healthy soil. Most of them
are useful in that they are part of the natural cycle of breaking down dead
organic matter so that it can be reused. Some are harmful to living plants
and so not desirable. Unless you can get a friendly mycologist to take a
look you are unlikely to be able to tell the difference, even a trained
person might not be able to do it by inspection. Unless you have reason to
believe you have harmful fungi I wouldn't worry about it.

David