Old 24-04-2006, 02:59 PM
neilson neilson is offline
Registered User

Ok, thanks for all your feedback, much appreciated.
I think i'll try and disperse the ants by adding moisture and turning regularly then may be looking out for some of that 'Nippon' stuff you have suggested, if the latter doesn't work.

How much moisture, e.g. half a watering can once a week roughly, or does it depend on the compost volume (think my Darleks about 340 litre), and is pretty much full at the moment.

What if i've positioned my compost bin ontop of an existing ant nest, resite the bin somewhere else?

Would it be a good idea to drill some holes in the bin to create some aeration, also allowing water to penetrate naturally.

I've seen these mixing sticks on certain gardening sites and brochures, could be helpfull with this type of compost bin as doesn't require emptying the contents.
Although I am planning to build the wooden type variety at some stage.

Cheers neilson