Old 24-04-2006, 12:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default Give Me Your Ideas/Tips on Building a Pond

wrote in message
oups.com...
Doug Kanter wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Question 10 & a bonus: Are ponds worthwhile or are they more bother
than they're worth?

They are worthwhile. However, I would strongly suggest that you either
hit
the library, or invest in a book or two. You'd need to do this in order
have a successful aquarium indoors. This is the same, but with more
factors
involved. If you think you're going to get enough information in a
newsgroup, you may as well forget the idea.

Thanks for the reply, Doug!

I've had considerable expirence with tropical fish. In the past I've
owned a 29, 55 and 100 gallon aquariums. I've sucessfully raised
numerous varieties including Killifish and Cichlids. However, this
will be my first outdoor pond. I've been reading info from numerous
sources, but would like to converse with someone who has some
first-hand practical expirience. Do you have any other info to share?

Patrick

Actually, no. My ex-wife was in charge of the pond. So she dealt with algae
issues (which were never a constant problem). And, since we're in upstate
NY, and she didn't want to dig the pond below the frost line, there were no
local species in the pond (not intentionally, at least). Just goldfish. She
spent a lot of time with books on the subject until it became second nature
to understand the issues involved.

Two tips:
If you have any animal neighbors around which eat fish, they will probably
visit your pond from time to time. We watched one day as a seagull made off
with a goldfish. Another time, she lost half her fish in one night. Probably
a raccoon. I was asked to construct a lightweight screen cover using 1x1
wood and chicken wire, which she'd put over the pond at certain times
determined by factors ranging from intuition to the time of year.

Heat: Think about the species you're hoping to keep in the pond, and be
prepared to make quick design changes to keep the temperature in a range
that won't kill them. This means choosing the right depth, something you
can't change easily after the pond's finished. Others include the right
plants & structures both inside & outside the pond, for shade purposes.