Old 24-04-2006, 01:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
gwtx2

Default Pruining Grape Vines

I'm a little perplexed on pruining grape vines in late winter, so let
me tell you what I have this growing season, and I'd appreciate any
suggestions. I use the four cane kniffin system. Currently, each of my
four canes are, I think, one year old and brown in color. From these
canes are brand new shoots, some which have already grown a couple of
feet in length. These new shoots also have some new grapes on them.

This winter, will I remove the brown cane I'm now seeing and use one of
these new shoots (currently green) to replace it? Or, will I continue
to use this brown cane? If I am to remove this brown cane, should I
allow one of these new shoots to grow the length of my wire this
season?

I keep reading that grapes grow on the shoots from one year old canes.
Does this mean that they won't grow from shoots on two, three, four
year old canes? Thanks.