Old 24-04-2006, 01:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default Stupid question from a newbie

I usually don't use the bag attachment on my mower, but sometimes I'll
collect some clippings to sprinkle a 1" layer around plants. If I sprinkle
it loosely, it doesn't turn into mush, and it quickly browns & blends in
nicely.

"Andrew Ostrander" wrote in message
You don't NEED to mulch annuals, but it's often a good practice.

By blocking sunlight mulch stops weed seeds from developing into plants.
You save a lot of time weeding. It also helps reduce the rate of
evaporation from the soil.

On the negative side, it stops extremely light showers from reaching the
soil. I do not think mulch is as attractive as bare soil so I don't use
it
among flowers.

"Derryl Killan" wrote in message
wrote:
I'm sure this is a stupid question but I don't know the answer (I don't
even know if it matters). I'm creating my first flower garden and
intend on using mulch, but I don't know in which order I should do
things. I am assuming I would plant first, water, then mulch...right?
I am using seeds as well as partially grown plants. Do I wait for the
seedlings to sprout a little before adding the mulch or will they just
grow through the mulch as they sprout?

I know I'll learn a lot through trial and error, but I'd like to start
off on the right foot at least

Thanks for any help!

Apply your mulch after all seeds and plants have grown 6".

Why do you need to mulch annuals?

Derryl