Old 24-04-2006, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Ivy Roots

In article ,
"Chris Meech" writes:
| Hi,
| First post and am as green as ....
| Renovating very neglected garden. Basically digging practically everything
| up and starting again. Lots of ivy with vicious roots. Do ivy roots work
| like weeds? i.e. if I leave a bit will the ivy grow again? If, as I suspect,
| they will how do I kill the stumps that are left under the soil and which I
| can't pull up? Same question applies to various shrubs whose roots seem to
| go to Australia, can I just leave them a foot or so below the surface?

Only a few plants will regrow from deep roots - in general, digging up the
rootstock (the lump on or just below the surface) is enough. I am pretty
sure that it is for ivy. For ones that will regrow, don't try to dig all
the roots out - you may need to dig 3' down or more. Dig out the rootstock
and then attack the weakened shoots as they reappear.

| Husband is warbling on about copper nails????

Divert him in the direction of philosopher's stones.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.