Old 24-04-2006, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Garden Camping - a bit OT!

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message

This is a newsgroup devoted to gardening and related issues, is it not -
and I have been a subscriber for many years. In the time that I have
participated here I have always tried to maintain good netiquette and
keep my comments specific and to the point and I think that would be a
good policy for all users.

That's just your opinion.

And IMHO, it just happens to be totally wrong.

What you need to understand about UseNet, is that even on practical
topics such as gardening, many of the questions merely serve as pretext
for respondents to share all sorts of information and anecdotes, not
all of which is totally germane to the question, but much of which
may be interesting in its own right, useful, or put across in an
entertaining fashion. And there's no knowing when some of it mightn't
come in useful at some point in the future.

Whereas if everyone stuck rigidly to answering the question as you
suggest, Usenet would rapidly grind to a halt.

Furthermore, misunderstandings can easily arise on Usenet,
simply because it's solely a written medium, and so devoid of the
nuances which are possible in everyday spoken conversation. And yet
Usenet very often tries to mimic the tone and informality of spoken
conversation, often between total strangers. And so for this reason
alone, inadvertant misuderstandersings are commonplace, and it would
probably be unwise to take udue exception or offence when this
inevitably occurs

Janet's reply was made with the best of intentions, and may well
have been of interest to other readers of the group. Even if not
to you personally.

As soon as anyone posts a question on a NewsGroup, it's no longer
"their" question, but merely an invitation to discussion. And is
open to everyone to answer in any way they choose.

You would possibly do well to remeber that.

I will not be continuing this as I do not intend to involve myself in
any prolonged antagonistic and unpleasant bickering which seems to have
become rife very sadly in this newsgroup.

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message

Thanks for your opinion. I actually just wanted some information about
tents, not how to live my life!

Indeed.

michael adams

Thanks