Old 24-04-2006, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Default re-doing the compost

This was the first week end that the weather and my availability have
combined to allow me make a real impression in the veg plot.
So, I tackled what I had wanted to do for ages: the 2 year old (close
enough) compost heap. It is contained in one of those goddawful black
plastic square boxes, and I knew it was less than optimum. I did what
seemed logical. I dismantled the box from around it, took out the
bottom part which was nice, dry and crumbly, and dug it into the as yet
unplanted veg patch, then moved the box to a new place and replaced the
rest of the soggy mess, thinly layered with shredded paper and chipped
branches trimmed from trees, twigs and other chopped up ligneous
vegetation gathered in the last 12 months. I hope this will sort the
heap out in coming months.
As to the useable stuff, three big wheel barrow fulls of it, I dug it
into a big portion of the veg patch. A couple of hours later, I sowed
direct into the ground peas, broad beans, beans and various lettuces.
I probably should have let the ground settle for a while, but with
work, long commute and various commitments, I may not be able to do
anythign in the garden for another two weeks - so I really did all I
could while I could.

I've had the most fantastic week end of gardening. I feel chuffed and
self-satisfied, in the way only newbie, time challenged, easily
satisfied amateurs can...
But that was *before* I got to check out Potty's marvelous blog. Gasp.
I'm really not at the races...

Cat(h) (stiff and blister-handed)