Old 24-04-2006, 08:14 PM
jacobsdad jacobsdad is offline
Registered User

Location: Essex, UK
Default Newbie question about lawn

Hi all, this is my first post, so be gentle!

I moved into my first home in August 2005 and the garden was a concrete jungle - paving slabs etc. so I decided that as well as planting some flower boxes I would lay some turf. I know nothing about gardening but wanted to be a bit more green.

I took up an area 3m x 5m of paying slabs to find about 8 inches of sand underneath. Because I live in a town house, it wasn't practical to dispose of the sand so I simply visited B&Q and brough enough turf to cover the area of, now levelled, sand.

The next day I spoke to a friend who said there was no chance of the grass surviving on sand. I was a bit upset by that notion but have continued to water the lawn and today have cut the now very thick, long and green grass (it's been 2 months since I laid it). It appears to have knitted together very well and looks healthy (although I know little about these things). I have not fed it yet as the plant food labels are against this for the first 6 months of laying the turf. I have tried to uproot the turf on a corner to see if it has rooted - the result is that I actually can't pull up the turf easily becuase it has rooted so well.

When I cut it today I left the cuttings on the lawn (this is called "mulching" so I understand and helps?).

My question is 1.) do you think it will survive all year and, 2.) should I feed it now? Any tips would be brill.

Thanks,

JACOBSDAD.