Old 14-03-2003, 11:01 PM
fmurl

Default drooping crocii - help

"Martin Sykes" wrote:

I've got the same problem. It could be the soil fertility ( I'm in my second
year of a garden on developed farmland ). My soil is sandy (probably
impoerted by the builders ) for about a foot over clay. My cosmos which were
supposed to be 3ft got to almost 7ft last year so it could be too fertile
(if that's possible).

I had exactly the same problem last year. Broken Cosmos all over the place
as soon as the winds came. The bottom branches resting on the ground were
over three feet long!

I think its more likely that the rain is too much for them though ( I'm near
Manchester). The daffs and snowdrops are holding their heads up high. Just
the crocus' having a problem so maybe because they face upwards they're
filling with rain and flopping. It seems to be mostly a problem where
they've been planted last autumn. The ones from the year before have clumped
up a bit and seem to be supporting each other.

I came to the same conclusion about my Crocus. They were okay until they
reached full bloom, and then the rains came. Hopefully with the fair
weather we are due over the next few days things will pick up.

--
Please reply to the group, respect follow-ups and don't email me. Thank you.