Old 24-04-2006, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids,rec.arts.books
jadel

Default The roses that bloom in the spring, tra-la

wrote:

Are these in a greenhouse?

I wish.

Or have you manged to create a
micro-micro-climate outside your door?

I keep the orchids and vireyas in my basement in the winter. The
camellia stays in the garage.

And on the subject of the greenhouse, are there seasons in such
a place? I would guess that the plants "know" how much
sunlight they're getting, which at high latitudes is still
a variable.

Yes, artificial lighting can be used to accomodate the photo-period
requirements of different plants.

In the old days the wealthy maintained seperate warm and cool
greenhouses.

For some years, residents of the Nordic countries, particularly
Finns, employed greenhouses (a movement created in
large part by Aino Sibelius, wife of the composer) to give
themselves a year round supply of veggies. They even grew
citrus fruits.

Yep. The Europeans do this extensively.

J. Del Col ( who keeps cacti, too)