Old 24-04-2006, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Default Compost Heap Fauna (was Ants in Compost Bin)

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
neilson wrote:

Hi people, hope someone can offer some advise on how to get rid of ants
in composts.

Yes. Keep the compost damper. Ants (and woodlice) are a sign that it
is too dry, and DO NO HARM

The latter was my first gut response to this post.

The former I am surprised about. My compost heap was part OK, part
soggy mess, and it was RIDDLED with woodlice in both parts. But there
was a lot of other fauna, too. Slugs, snails, millepedes and
centipedes (they move too fast for me to count the legs... so either or
both), earth worms by the tonne, small mini-maggot like critters, small
flies, and many other creepy crawlies - but no ants that I noticed.
I hope re-starting it with lots of shredded paper and twig chips
layered through will help it dry out and break down better, though.

Cat(h)