Old 24-04-2006, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default Oh dear, new gardeners!

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Just back from the allotment.

Over the weekend one of the new gardening crowd (a young family) has
obviously been to the Garden Centre and bought young plants, OK in itself,
but then they have planted them out on their exposed plot!

Lots of Cucurbits and only two feet apart too. If it's courgettes they
will feed an army!
Sweetcorn and in a nice straight row.
Runner beans up a wigwam or four 6ft canes tied together, first wind/rain
will have it over once heavy with plant.

Main problem is they are all frost tender so I hope they are very lucky,
they will need to be.

Do I say something if I see them or just keep quiet and let them learn the
hard way?
(I suspect, damned if I do, damned if I don't)

Mind you, what on earth were the GC doing selling these young plants a
month early, I haven't even planted any of these yet, it's a job down for
this week.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Give them a roll of garden fleece as a welcome present and explain how it
works. "It may come in useful for your plants if frost is forecast" etc etc