Old 24-04-2006, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Default Oh dear, new gardeners!

H Ryder wrote:
why not suggest something that they can do - e.g. making clothes out of old
2L bottles etc. It seems a shame that they could end up disappointed -
especially if they are trying to get their children interested in
gardening - but they may not be able to afford to write off these plants and
get new ones.

I too get really annoyed at GCs - there are some things that I'd actually
like to buy ready grown but I do not have a green house or enough well lit
room indoors to keep them and the GCs sell them all far, far too early. It
seems like Christmas in that they are getting earlier and earlier each
year - by teh time that it is possible to plant out all this stuff the GCs
will have moved on and will be selling something else

PS - was intending to grow my beans up a wigwam of 6 6 foot canes - is this
wrong? What shoud I grow them up (runner anfd french).

I don't know if it is "wrong", but it sure worked a treat for me last
year, and I am still consuming the frozen produce - I am renewing the
technique this year, in another part of the veg plot. I think the
point the OP was making was that a gust of wind would easily topple the
wigwams once covered with the climbing beans if they were put in a very
exposed position. Mine are relatively sheltered.

Cat(h)