Old 24-04-2006, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Paul E. Lehmann

Default Pruining Grape Vines

"simy1" wrote in message
oups.com...
whatever you do, do it quickly. Grapes must be pruned in november. In
late winter (in fact now mid spring) they will bleed profusely.

Not true. You can wait until bud break and still prune. The "bleeding" has
been shown not to affect the health of the vine. Even if you prune in
November, when the spring sun hits the vines, the pruning cuts will "bleed".
This is normal. I have 112 vines in my back yard vineyard here in Central
Maryland. I generally prune in February or March but I will be dong some
shoot thining in about another week. I had bud break around April 15th - as
is usual around here.