Old 24-04-2006, 11:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

Default Can I replant roses when not dormant?

"colleen" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thank you all so much for your advice. To answer some of the questions
about these roses, here goes. The roses were bare root, grafted, all
hybrid teas.

Dave- you did understand what I was trying to say about planting them
too low in the ground. It wasn't until a week or so after planting
them that I noticed a few of them kind of dipped down in the ground
where I had planted the graft a bit too low. And we also have
increased our garden bed size, so I would like to even the plants out
in the new area.

The plants that are a bit too low are not doing as well as the others,
but are still OK. At this point in time, the move would be more for
aesthetic purposes because I am a perfectionist. I didn't know if it
would be better to move them now b/c they haven't been in the ground
for too long, or if it would be better to wait until they go dormant in
the fall.

I agree with Dave's advice to leave them where they
are for now.

You all have provided very helpful information- thank you so much!! I
am just going to have to be patient and wait until fall because I would
hate to hurt them just beacuse I am so picky.

So based on this decision to wait, I have another question for you all.
Should I move them in the fall (after they are no longer in bloom), or
should I move them in early spring before they start to show new
growth?

Thank you all again so much for the very helpful feedback!!!!

-Colleen

My recommendation would be to move them in
the fall after growth has slowed way down.
Water well until the roots have had a chance to
re-establish.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8