Old 24-04-2006, 09:32 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Nina

Default Another episode of "CSI:Bonsai"

Today when I looked at the carrot disks, I saw that the xylem
parenchyma had hypertrophied. That's how I talk at work: sorry. The
center of the carrot disk was becoming lumpy, and the lumpiness was
turning green, which is characteristic of crown gall on carrot. I've
posted a picture on the "General discussion" gallery on the IBC
webpage. This means that, without a doubt, the fig with galls was
suffering from crown gall.

Nina.

PS- My friend Fari wants us to inoculate a baby tomato plant: that's
another surefire method of identifying crown gall. Tomatoes are very
suceptible, and will form galls quickly where you prick them with a
needle coated in bacteria.