Old 24-04-2006, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

Default Garden Camping - a bit OT!

In message , H Ryder
writes
have you thought about a frame tent? Most are over two metres high and
traditionally have loads of head room and space. We have several tents and
will take a dome for weekends but always use the frame tent for anything
longer. After talking at length to experienced campers using dome tents it
seems that putting up one of the bigger, more complicated domes takes as
long as a frame tent. The only saving seems to be in car space as a frame
tent is about twice a big as an equivalent sized dome when packed (a big one
is anyway).

Our Kyham isn't a dome, but it has some of the benefits of such, but it
also has some of the benefits of frame tents as the main poles are
mostly straight, so it is quite a boxy shape - and is more stable in
strong winds than most dome designs of it's size.. It's not that quick
to fully put up really - though I hurry I can have the outer up and
stable enough for shelter in about 10 minutes, but quicker than frame
tent (which I don't really like for various reasons).

Another advantage of domes etc. is the greater flexibility for
variations in designs, though given some of the crappy designs some come
up with that's a sometimes dubious benefit.
--
Chris French