Old 25-04-2006, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Give Me Your Ideas/Tips on Building a Pond

Pat wrote:

Questions 4 , 5 & 6: Best to stay with local creatures, right? What do
you think about adding some African Cichlids (in place of the local
fish), from a tropical fish store? Cichlids are tough little fish,
surely they could survive in my pond, right?

Cichlids would probably survive in Florida. I like cheap goldfish. You
don't mind replacing them when they get eaten. Koi tame easily. Colored
fish help you see them. You may never see your cichlids again after adding
them.

Cichlids can be quite colorful. Well... at least the dominate ones in
the tank. The problem I see with them is their aggressiveness. If
they have room to develop territories, once they get to breeding size,
the dominate mating pair will kill every other fish in the tank, and
then after laying her eggs she'll chase the male until he is
battered/bruised/in a deathly state. I found this true after adding
with three to a tankful (100 gallon) of tropical fish. They are one
mean species of fish!

Patrick