Old 25-04-2006, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

Default Newbie question about lawn

The next day I spoke to a friend who said there was no chance of the
grass surviving on sand. I was a bit upset by that notion but have
continued to water the lawn and today have cut the now very thick, long
and green grass (it's been 2 months since I laid it). It appears to have

My best guess is that it will do fine as long as you water and fertilize.
Regularly.

Sand actually holds a fair amount of water and makes it available to plants,
but it doesn't hold mineral nutrients very well (has very little CEC).
You don't mention the species of grass(es) you've planted, but I'd give
it several years of close care before I would expect the roots to be
down into the native soil underneath. It's probably going to be an
interesting balancing act... if you water too often, the roots aren't
going to go looking for water lower down; if you don't water enough,
you can desiccate the sod. I'd keep a spade handy to check on
things. Some of the various soil moisture granules made of polyacrylamide
may also be a useful adjunct.

I'd also topdress with thin (1/4", 5mm) layers of compost, well rotted manure
or other fine organic matter several times a year, and do what you can
to encourage worms and other soil critters to help you stir up your soil.

If wishes were fishes, and this had been my lawn, I probably would have
started with a deep rototilling or double-digging to incorporate the sand
into the soil, and probably have added a generous quantity of compost
to the situation. Then planted. Or I would have removed at least half
the sand and then tilled.

Kay