Old 25-04-2006, 05:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
ricks555

Default transplanting emerald cedars

1. The tree must be planted at the same depth as it was originally
growing so dig the hole roughly 6 - 10 inches wider than the rootball.
Dig only 2" deeper than the overall height of the rootball replacing
with a 2" layer of peatmoss.

2. Backfill the hole up 2/3rds with a 50/50 peatmoss and soil mix,
firming around the base then finish with topsoil.

3. Create a "well" around the tree with soil to allow water to pool,
ensuring ample moisture will penetrate the root zone. I like to
dissolve 1 lb of Espoma "holly tone" or "tree and shrub" food in a 5
gal pail of water to jump start the tree.

4. Cover with mulch to retain moisture.

I would recommend to keep as many roots as possible and allow the tree
to decide which ones it wants to keep as it will be under enough stress
of transplanting.

Good Luck!