Old 25-04-2006, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Oh dear, new gardeners!

Gardening_Convert wrote:
I am on a waiting list for an allotment and I would certainly hope that
there is a good communial spirit on the site and help from experienced
growers etc.

I am still a novice gardener even though I've grown several different
things from seeds planted some plant from GC's , the mother in law etc
. Changed the garden around several times , landscaped etc and read
and watched just about everything I can find on gardening

BUT as my old grandfather used to say there is no replacement for
experience and local experience at that.

I'm sure if it's a family they would welcome any advice , probably just
depends how the advice is presented.

You don't want to be like the the old Harry Enfield character that
always said 'You don't want to do it like that that , you want to do it
like this !!'

Perhaps just mention such things like , we still gets frosts here until
xx/xx/xx date as so some protection such as might be worthwhile

Too be honest when I get my plot I'm kinda hoping if not expecting to
get lots of good advice

I think Rupert's idea of a roll of fleece and an explanation of its
uses might be the very thing. I was telling Ray of this potential
disaster-waiting-to-happen and he said that the 'old boys' used to
plant out their seeds as early as possible but quite wide apart. Then
a week or so later, they'd plant another lot of seeds between the first
lot and, if the conditions warranted it, even a third lot. By this
method, one way or another they always knew they'd get SOME plants,
even if the first lot got frosted. If the whole lot survived, they'd
simply thin them out. Of course, you have to know the frost dates for
your particular area to use this to best advantage but it sounds good
to me.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk