Old 25-04-2006, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david taylor

Default Extremely old compost

Soils lose organic material-a light soil might lose most of its humus in 2
years.( I have the reference)
The compost is precious. In my own garden-(heavy soil) I would put it on
raspberries (aerated fibrous roots), strawberries, redcurrants. Also on
plants that like a well drained but moist location etc.
If there is any left over I would dig it in.
David T
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
tom&barbara wrote:
We recently had to use the space where the compost heap was. The heap
was started at least four years ago and could have been much older
than that even, we had just added and added to it over the last three
years without using any of it. Anyhow we put most of the really
old stuff which was at the bottom of the heap on the garden.

The compost seemed like excellent stuff but I was wondering whether it
can actually be too old to do any good, or, older the better type of
thing. Does anyone have any thoughts on this please?

If it's free of weed seeds and roots, old is fine as a soil conditioner.

--
Mike.