Old 25-04-2006, 10:34 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden
Mind you, what on earth were the GC doing selling these young plants a month
early, I haven't even planted any of these yet, it's a job down for this
week.
At least tender vegetables just have to be kept inside a few more weeks, and I'd rather buy a £1 seedling now and pot it on myself than buy a £5 large plant in a month's time.

More dishonest is selling tender shrubs mixed in with the hardy shrubs and without giving any info on them. My local garden centre (in the Chilterns) is currently selling Sollya heterophylla. Last year they were selling Metrosideros kermadecensis. These are expensive plants, which require establishing over a number of years. If they advertised them as "conservatory plants" or at least gave a minimum temperature, fair enough, but they don't.