Old 25-04-2006, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Extremely old compost

"tom&barbara" wrote in message
oups.com...
We recently had to use the space where the compost heap was. The heap
was started at least four years ago and could have been much older than
that even, we had just added and added to it over the last three years
without using any of it. Anyhow we put most of the really old stuff
which was at the bottom of the heap on the garden.

The compost seemed like excellent stuff but I was wondering whether it
can actually be too old to do any good, or, older the better type of
thing. Does anyone have any thoughts on this please?

No matter how old it is, you'll still be getting all the benefits of
the organic matter - humus - which is a vital addition to the mineral,
sand etc, and clay particles which are the other main constituent of the
soil. Providing it's never dried out completely there should also still
be plenty of bacteria and other beneficial micro-organisms. Although maybe
not as many as when there was more fresh material for them to work on.
These are another essential element provided by compost. The fact that
you may have lost some nutrients through leaching is neither here nor
there IMO. As unlike organic matter and micro-organisms, this deficiency
can always be remedied by the use of the appropriate fertilisers
in any case.

If you find any brandlings in the compost as you fork through it, the
worms with dark red rings, you could save those and introduce them into
your new compost pile. They'll survive in soil, although not as well
as earthworms, but will do much better in a compost heap. Ideally with
something soft to get them going. Week-old banana skins etc.

michael adams