Old 25-04-2006, 06:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
aem

Default Tomato varieties

Allan Matthews wrote:
On 24 Apr 2006 18:02:35 -0700, "
wrote:

Sixty years ago, Rutgers was the most popular tomato, with Marglobe
still in the running. Many home gardeners grew the Red Ponderosa which
was also called Beefsteak. Today hundreds of "heirlooms" have been
introduced by amateur breeder/traders. They have become very popular
for various reasons, but I have not found any that can beat those old
commercial varieties. If you like yellow, the Golden Ponderosa is very
good. The Purple Ponderosa and and its imitators are very good pinks.

Marglobe....bingo!!!!! That was what he raised. Thanks to all. I am
going to find some of these plants for this year and try a variety.

The most delicious tomato I've grown in recent years has been the
Brandywine. Very large, pink rather than red, relatively thin skin.
So full of flavor you don't even want to put a vinaigrette on it, just
a pinch of salt. Oxheart is another very tasty heirloom variety. -aem