Old 25-04-2006, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Default Recyling garden waste (quick moan)

"The Invalid" wrote
What peeves me is the wrapping that's some companies put on their
products.If they cut that by hal or more recycling might be easier.
We recently bought a new vacuum cleaner and the wrapping that it and
the contents of the box had was alarming.

My current peeve is plastic packaging of groceries. There's just too
much and, locally at least, we have to put it all in ordinary waste. Our
council insists that ONLY plastic bottles can be put in the recycling
bin, but there are numerous grocery items on supermarker shelves that
have other plastic packaging e.g. yoghurt pots, butter and margarine
tubs, food trays etc - dozens of things - and I see that these almost
all carry the triangle recyclable logo.

I did email the relevant address on the council's site asking why I
couldn't put specific marked items in too because I want to recycle as
much as possible. But whether there was a good reason or not, they
didn't bother to reply. So black marks to them for lack of customer
service, but in any event I can't see why supermarkets and manufacturers
can't be required by law to package everything in materials that
householders, and thus councils, are *able* to recycle.

--
Sue