Old 25-04-2006, 04:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Default Shred this

"VisionSet" wrote
"Chris Bacon" wrote
VisionSet wrote:
Every year I produce many piles of holly clippings like those below
from the trees shown.

http://i3.tinypic.com/wgufdc.jpg

You could always burn them, holly burns very well!

I know, but I've no where to burn it, I don't want to **** the
neighbours off and mulching is more enviro. But I will be burning the
bigger stuff in the fireplace.

Get a good sturdy shredder, you won't regret it. That little pile in
your pic would barely take a couple of minutes to be fed through a
decent machine.

We've discussed shredders often here, so if you do a Googlegroups search
you'll find the threads. The cheaper bladed models are pretty useless
imo. You'd do better to spend a bit more and get one of the ones that
chop and crunch, with a screw or cog type mechanism. Bosch ones are
regarded well and Ive had an Alko 'Silent power' model for several years
which has chomped it's way without a hitch through what would otherwise
have been many skips full of branches and prunings by now. It's saved
dozens of trips to the dump and all the material is composted with other
garden and kitchen waste and put back on the garden. AFAIC my shredder
is the best thing since the invention of the wheel.

--
Sue
(If the shed people are Sheddi, are shredder fans Shreddi?)